Peter Loso was one of the first settlers to arrive to the St. Joseph area and founded the German settlement deal in August, 1854. He stated section 9-10 which the Village of Saint Joseph was platted. Numerous others soon followed and the Township was planned in 1858 covering 81 square kilometers. Formerly called Clinton, St. Joseph attained its current name in 1870. Many settlers came up for the land, with its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Town was contained in 1890. As the township grew, so do the needs of its individuals, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As part of their agenda in the 1890's, they decided to construct a jail, install a consumer well, build and repair wooden sidewalks, and placed liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also a problem and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was arranged, which is currently the St. Joseph Hearth Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was growing with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the households after multiple years of hardship due to the severe winters click here and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 reducing the time to milk cows so more time could be spent on crops and animal care. Soon after, World War 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to fight.
After the war here ended individuals were in a position to get their lives back again on track, at least for a while, before the currency markets crash in 1929. Also, at the moment, prohibition was in place so many of the farmers turned here to making moonshine, which slightly reduced the hardships of the marketplace crash. With the depression effecting everyone in town, the city needed to adhere together more than ever. Through a national offer, the Council was able to hire the unemployed to help clean and keep maintaining the Village.
On December 7, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor which officially got into the united states into World Battle 2. Rationing tokens received out since many items were in short supply. In those days St. Joseph got a human population of around 1050, dropping 10 heroic military to the battle. The community continued to be strong and continuing to improve the Town, adding a water tower in 1949, plus a new Village well. In 1959, St. Joseph started out fluoridating its water supply, and remains to do so.